Tuesday, May 20, 2014

DIY Linen Summer Wrap Tutorial "Yellow Rainbow Wrap"

DIY Linen Summer Wrap Tutorial

"Yellow Rainbow Wrap"

(in 10 easy steps)




I recently had the opportunity to borrow a size 4 linen wrap. It was May and just as the weather was starting to get hot. My size 6 cotton wrap was looking to hot and way to much fabric to bother with on a hot sweaty day. My lovely wrap sat at home while I looked for alternatives in order to wear my 7 month old baby. As time was nearing for me to give back the borrowed wrap I decided I had to have my own. I was off to the fabric store.

You really don't need much to make a wrap. Fabric and thread. The most important thing is that you get a suitably strong fabric. I really like Linen because it is lightweight and strong. The Jo-Ann Fabric store nearest me stocks 100% linen in black, white, natural, navy, and sometimes brown. If you'd like to read about safe babywearing fabrics you can read Babywearing International's Fabric Info.

Step 1: Buy Supplies

I bought 4 yards of 100% Linen in white. It's regularly $16.99/yard but you can almost always get a 40% or 50% off coupon. I won't buy it without a coupon. Mine was 52 inches wide and I will be able to make two wraps from it. Use wider fabric if you can find it 56"-60" . You wouldn't want to go any smaller than I did or it will be more difficult to wrap with.

Supplies:

4 yards of 100% linen ($33.98 plus tax w/ coupon)
Thread (on hand)
Dylon Dye (optional, $1.79 with coupon, baby safe)

Step 1: Wash Linen

Linen shrinks so I washed on cold with All Free & Clear and NO fabric softener. You can use whatever detergent you prefer. Washing on warm is fine but it might shrink more. I actually suggest washing warm if you plan to dye it to get manufacturing residue off for better color coverage. Or you can do some research on scouring and dying fabric. I suggest reading more at Dharma Trading Co. Either line dry your fabric or air fluff in the dryer. I choose to put it in the dryer on the coolest setting Partially because I wanted to get started and partially because line drying can make it feel stiff and it will be harder to get a strait cut. Drying with heat will shrink it. Always wash before cutting your fabric. The factory edge (Selvage) will not fray in the wash like a cut edge.

Step 2

 

Step 2. Fold

Fold linen in half lengthwise. This is a lot of fabric so you may want to vacuum the hallway and do this there. My fold is on the left. I just took my sharp sewing scissors and cut along the fold. You can iron first for a more precise line if you like. Mine turned out pretty strait. One half will be my new wrap and the other identical half is for a friend. Save money and share the cost of fabric with a friend! Or keep the other half and make 2 short ring slings out of it. My 3 year old thinks it would make a great road for his trucks.


  

 

Step 3

Step 3. Prepare to DYE!

I put my half of the linen through the washing machine one more time on a rinse with light spin to make sure it was thoroughly wet before dying. Then I added enough hot water to cover the fabric. This is called tub dying and I'm using a 5 gallon bucket. The bucket is in a deep mud sink to contain drips. You could also use a bath, shower, or sheet of plastic (or back yard) if you like. But you still need a tub or bucket.


Step 4

 

Step 4. Mix Dye

I've already dissolved 4 Tbsp salt in water and added it to my wet fabric in the bucket. Now I add the Dylon dye powder from the packet to 4 cups of warm water. Stir until completely dissolved. The dye will stain anything it touches so wear gloves. If you are going to dye a darker color I would suggest using 2 packets. There were some small spots that still look a little white but it's hard to tell with yellow.

   

Step 5. DYE!

 Pour the dye into your bucket and mix continuously for 15 minutes then every 15 after that for at least an hour. I did this for 2 hours then for good measure I left it overnight. I put my glass measuring cup on top of the fabric to make sure no fabric stuck out of the liquid.
Step 7

Step 6. Rinse

Pour out the dye and rinse in cold water. Then to make things easier toss your wrap in the washing machine on a rinse cycle either cold or warm and repeat this several times. Check the water before it drains if you are still getting color in the water keep repeating until it is clear. I didn't use detergent and I did only a light spin to wring out the water. Then line dry or air dry in the dryer.

Step 7. Trim

Because the wrap is not hemmed yet the edges will fray a little bit when you wash it. Trim all fuzzy edges so you get a nice clean edge for your hem. It's also a good idea to iron but I'm lazy and didn't. It worked out just fine but I've done a lot of hemming. If you are new to hemming ironing will make sewing a straight line a little easier for you.
 
Step 8

Step 8. Hem

Fold the edge over about 1/2 an inch then fold it over again. This way all the cut edges are sealed inside the fabric and won't unravel. If you make sure to place your straight stitch on the inside edge of the hem (left edge) your fabric will lay more flat. Some people choose to do a second row of stitching on the outside edge (right edge) it looks pretty but it's not necessary.
Often when hemming fabric that you haven't pinned in advance you end up with a little extra at the end. This is fine just stop stitching just before the end and sew backwards one or two stitches to lock the thread in place. Cut the corner at a 45 degree angle then rotate your fabric and hem the next edge. Once all 4 sides are hemmed the wrap is almost complete.


Step 9

Step 9. Baby Check

Yup my baby is having a great time. I couldn't have done this without him. (No really, I couldn't do this without him... attached to me.) Now you know why I babywear! For those of you interested this is my Didymos size 6 cotton wrap which I love but it's a little cumbersome and warm for hot summer days.


Step 10
Step 10. Middle Marker

A middle marker is optional but will help you find the center of the wrap which will save you time when wrapping. Decide what kind of middle marker you would like. You can sew decorative stitching on the hem but NOT in the body of the wrap. It could weaken the fibers and cause a likely failure point right where your baby is sitting. You could sew a small ribbon into the hem or on top of the hem. Most commercial woven wrap companies sew a small tag with their logo here. Many DIY-ers dye a design into the center body of the wrap. It takes a little more talent but can look really cool.

Step 10
I choose to use decorative stitching for about 12 inches wide. I folded the wrap in half then measures out 6" and placed a pin. Then I did my stitching stopping when I got to the second pin. Repeat this process on the bottom rail (a rail is the long edge of the wrap).

Congratulations you are now ready to wrap you baby! This 100% Linen wrap will be great for summer. You don't have to worry about getting it dirty because it cost less than $20 to make. You can have one in every color. Like Tie Dye! It's a color! The possibilities are endless.

 

HAPPY WRAPPING!

Completed Linen Wrap

Final Measurements:
 
Length: 138 inches = 11.5 feet = 3.83 yards = 3.5 meters
That would place my wrap at a long size 3 or a short size 4 woven wrap.
 
Width: 24 inches = 2 Feet = 61 Centimeters

 Safety Note: Do not attempt to carry your baby on your back until they have good head control. Also do not back carry until you have sufficient practice using a woven (non-stretchy) wrap with baby on your front. It is your responsibility to make your baby carrier safe and your responsibility to use it correctly. Frequently check your fabric for wear or snags... Click here for very important Babywearing Safety Rules.
 
Here are a few carries that I have been able to do with this wrap. I am 5'7" and 120lbs. Check out your local babywearing group or Babywearing International is a great starting place to learn how to wrap. Youtube is also very helpful for video tutorials on how to do various carries with a woven wrap. Watch many videos as not all are created equal and there is more than one way to do the same carry.

RRRR with a candy cane chest belt






1 comment:

  1. Great idea!!!! Havent seen you since jr high/high school..

    ReplyDelete